Being the most common skin concern among people, treating acne can be a persistent and frustrating challenge. If you’re in search of a natural and budget-friendly approach to combat acne, you’re in the right place. In this article, we’ll explore a curated selection of powerful home remedies for acne, unveiling the secrets to healthier and more radiant skin without leaving the comfort of your home.
Even though countless products are available in the market to treat acne, some of them still are not that effective to treat it properly. Embarking on a quest for clear and blemish-free skin need not always involve costly skincare products or a trip to the dermatologist’s office.
If you are tired of trying products available in the market or these products didn’t work out for some reason, you can always enter into the world of natural remedies.
Using natural ingredients to treat acne is cost-effective and provides you with the desired results without many side effects. We have compiled the top 10 home remedies for acne that works without irritating your skin. Make sure to patch-test these remedies before applying them entirely on your face.
Pick any of the below-mentioned remedies that suit you and apply them consistently to unlock acne-free clear skin.
Top 10 Home Remedies for Acne
1. Chickpea Flour & Yogurt Face Mask
Chickpea flour, AKA gram flour, is one of the common and best home remedies for acne. Enriched with protein, unsaturated fatty acids, and zinc, Chickpea flour is best at fighting acne. This flour also controls excess sebum and helps to reduce acne inflammation. Use this face mask 1 to 2 times to reduce acne.
- Chickpea flour – 2 tbsp
- Yogurt – 2 tbsp
Processing time: 15 to 20 minutes
- Add chickpea flour and plain yoghurt in a clean bowl.
- Mix it well to achieve a thick paste.
- Apply the mixture uniformly on the clean face and leave it for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Rinse your face with lukewarm water, pat it dry and use the moisturizer.
2. Turmeric and Honey
Curcumin, a compound in turmeric, has antimicrobial properties and helps you reduce acne. Honey is best known for reducing inflammation, and when turmeric and honey are mixed, it helps to remove acne.
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Honey – 2 tbsp
Preparation time: 10 to 15 minutes
- Mix the required turmeric powder and honey in a clean bowl.
- Make a consistent, smooth paste with these ingredients.
- Apply this mixture evenly on your face except your eye and mouth area.
- Once it dries, remove the face mask and pat your face dry.
3. Cinnamon and Honey
Enriched with antimicrobial properties, both cinnamon and honey help to kill the bacteria that cause acne. This simple home remedy can help you to get rid of acne and is easy to use.
- Cinnamon powder – 1 tsp
- Honey – 2 tbsp
Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Add cinnamon powder and honey to a clean bowl and mix it.
- Once you get a consistent, thick paste, apply this mixture to your face.
- Leave this cinnamon and honey mask for 10 minutes.
- Once dried, wash it off with lukewarm water and pat it dry.
4. Tea Tree Oil Spot Treatment
With antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties, Tea tree oil is known to improve mild to moderate acne. The Tea tree oil spot treatment reduces the size of the acne and reduces inflammation.
- Tea tree oil
- A carrier oil of choice
Processing time: Overnight
- Take a clean container and dilute the tea tree oil with any carrier oil of your preference.
- Mix the required amount of tea tree oil with the carrier oil.
- Dip the cotton swab into the diluted tea tree oil.
- Now gently apply the tea tree oil swab in the acne spots.
- Leave this spot treatment overnight for better results, and rinse your face the next morning.
5. Aloe Vera Gel
One of the popular home remedies for acne, Aloe vera has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties to fight off acne-causing bacteria and reduce inflammation. This powerful ingredient has been proven to treat mild to severe acne and is easy to use.
- Fresh Aloe vera leaf or commercial aloe vera gel
Preparation time: 15 to 20 minutes
- If you have a fresh aloe vera leaf, you should cleanse it properly before use. Peel the outer green layer of the aloe vera leaf, scoop the clear gel, and wash it off. If you have store-bought aloe vera gel, you can use it directly for this acne remedy.
- Take 2 to 3 tablespoons of aloe vera gel and apply it on your face.
- Leave this on for 15 to 20 minutes and rinse your face with lukewarm water.
Recommended Article: DIY Acne Remedies: 5 Natural Face Packs To Fight Acne
6. Neem and Turmeric
Neem is the top powerful home remedy for acne. When neem is combined with turmeric, it reduces acne and further improves skin condition.
- Neem leaf extract or neem powder
- Turmeric powder – 1 tbsp
Preparation time: 20 minutes
- If you have fresh neem leaves, grind them well and make a smooth, consistent paste. If not, you can use neem powder.
- Mix the neem paste with 1 tbsp of turmeric powder.
- Once mixed, apply this mixture to your clean face and wait for 20 minutes.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water, pat it dry, and put on your moisturizer.
7. Liquorice Root Extract
Another best home remedy for acne is Liquorice root extract. This underrated ingredient is enriched with glycyrrhizin, which has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties. It also has the power to treat your acne scars and pigmentation.
- Liquorice root extract
Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Take the liquorice root extract and dip the cotton swab into it.
- Apply the liquorice root extract swab directly on the acne and acne spot.
- Leave this extract on your face for 30 minutes and wash it off.
- Pat it dry, and make sure to apply your regular moisturizer.
8. Potato Juice
Other than being your favourite vegetable, Potato also helps you fight off your dreadful enemy acne. Enriched with Vitamin C, Zinc, Sulfur, and other nutrients, it has anti-inflammatory properties to help you with acne.
- Small to medium-sized potato – 1
Processing time: 15 to 20 minutes
- Wash and peel off the potato.
- Grate the potato and create a pulpy paste.
- Take a clean towel, place the potato paste, and squeeze it to extract the juice.
- Apply the extracted potato juice on your face and leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Wash your face with lukewarm water, pat it dry, and follow up with your regular moisturizer.
9. Fenugreek Seeds
Rich in Diosgenin, Fenugreek seeds have antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. These seeds are better known for fighting off acne and reducing wrinkles and dark spots.
- Fenugreek seeds
Processing time: 20 minutes
- Soak the fenugreek seeds in water overnight.
- Once soaked, drain the water, grind the soaked fenugreek seeds, and make a smooth, consistent paste.
- Apply this paste on a clean face and leave it on for 20 minutes.
- Once dried, rinse it with lukewarm water and follow up with your regular moisturizer.
- Use this fenugreek paste at least once a week for better results.
10. Rosemary Extract
Unlike Rosemary essential oil, Rosemary leaf extract doesn’t irritate your skin much. Rich in Antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant properties, Rosemary extract helps to fight off acne-causing bacteria, and inflammation and soothes the skin.
- Dried rosemary leaves
- Hot water
Processing time: 15 minutes
- Add the rosemary leaves to the clean container and pour a cup of hot water into it.
- Cover the container and let the rosemary leaves soak in the water for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Once done, cool the rosewater infusion at room temperature.
- Strain out the rosemary leaves and apply the leaf extract on your face using cotton balls or a clean cloth.
- Leave it on your face to dry, and apply moisturizer.
The top 10 home remedies for acne mentioned above have the superpower to treat acne that troubles you every day. All these home remedies are simple to use and can give you better results on consistent usage. No matter if you want to remove acne, or reduce inflammation and acne scars, these top 10 home remedies are best to rescue you from the troubles of acne.
Recommended Article: How to Get Rid of Acne Scars?
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. How Can I Clear My Acne Naturally?
You can clear your acne naturally with the top 10 home remedies mentioned above. Make sure to pick a remedy that suits your skin best and be consistent until you see the results. Also, make sure to patch tests before applying these masks on your entire face.
Q2. Is Honey Good for Acne?
Yes, Honey is good for acne, and it helps you to reduce inflammation, and acne scars and soothes your skin. You can combine honey with other ingredients and reduce pimples on your face. Always make sure you use organic honey for your face for the best results.
Q3. Can I Sleep with Aloe Vera on my Face?
Of course, you can sleep with aloe vera on your face, and it won’t cause you any trouble. Leaving aloe vera on your face overnight helps you to reduce acne, and inflammation and moisturize your skin.