Poor metabolism is a leading factor that contributes to a wide range of health disorders.
Metabolism is a process wherein the food we eat gets converted into energy. It is closely linked to digestion and other vital body functions. If you continually suffer from diseases and infections, your body’s poor metabolism rate could be to blame.
Yogic breathing can be of great help in healing your ailing metabolism.
This ancient exercise also stimulates and strengthens the endocrine organs, which again leads to a better metabolic rate. It also gives the much needed activity to our vital organs and improve their functioning ability.
Here are some yoga postures that are of great help in improving metabolism rate.
Yoga Postures To Improve Metabolism:
1. Parivratta Sukhasana (Seated Spinal Twist)
This posture let’s your body move and turn to wake up your internal organs and promote better digestion. A good digestive system is the backbone of good metabolism. Here is how you can perform this posture.
- Use your hand to guide you to help you sit up as tall as possible.
- Sit on a block or a yoga blanket to get acquire the right level of elevation so you can comfortably bend your knees and twist around towards your sides.
2. Naukasana (Boat Pose)
If you want to shed extra flab around your waist as well as work on improving the rate of metabolism, Naukasana is an excellent form of exercise. Doing it daily helps strengthen and tone the muscles around the abdomen and thighs.
- Lie down on the floor with your back straight and your legs stretched out together on the floor.
- Bring your arms towards your sides, parallel to one another.
- Slowly lift your legs and feet at 45° angle to the floor.
- Raise your head and shoulder with your arms on either sides until your hands align together with your legs raised.
- Hold your legs with your hands and maintain this position for a few moments.
- Lower your head and shoulders back on the floor. Release and repeat this exercise five or six times to tone and strengthen the core muscles.
Recommended Story – 10 Yoga Asanas To Get Rid Of Back Pain By Ira Trivedi
3. Prasarita Padottanasana (Wide-Legged Forward Bend)
This position increases circulation in the thyroid, adrenal, and pituitary glands, leading to a release of feel-good endorphins and hormones which balance the metabolic system. It also gives a good stretch to your glutes and lowers your back.
- Stand straight with legs far apart.
- Bend your hips forward and support the upper body by placing both palms on the floor.
- The upper and lower arm should form a right angle.The Head should rest a few inches above the floor.
4. Utkatasana (Chair Pose)
The Utkatasana or chair pose increases your heart rate and helps in boosting your metabolism. It also stretches the muscles located on your thighs and hips and strengthens your knees and legs.
Utkatasana is an excellent pose to improve blood circulation and detoxify your body. This asana will twist your internal organs and improve digestion.
- Stand with your feet together and hands on your sides.
- Come to the squat position bending your knees and pushing your hips back like you do when you are sitting in a chair.
- Join your hands together in front of your chest like you do in a prayer position.
- Now, twist your upper body to your right and bring your left elbow to your right knee.
- Hold this position for about 40 seconds and then come back to the original position. Now, practice this posture on the other side.
5. Phalakasana (Plank Pose)
Plank pose is good for strengthening the core muscles, back and the shoulders. It increases your stamina and enhances your metabolism by focussing on all four stomach muscles, i.e., abdomen, transverse celiac muscle, and internal and external obliques. It also tones your core and abdominal muscles and reduces belly fat.
- From Standing Forward Fold, step 4to 5 ft. back with both your toes pushing against the floor and your palms resting on the floor with your arms straight to raise your body upwards.
- Tuck the tailbone inwards so the legs, hips, and torso are in one straight line.
- Move the crown of the head forward with your toes tucked in, and heels stretching outwards in the opposite direction to your head. Breathe and hold for 1-4 breaths.
- To release: either bend the knees to the floor into the Child pose or bend the elbows and lower down into Chaturanga.
6. Surya Bhedana Pranayama (Right Nostril Breathing)
The right nostril is associated with prana and bodily functions so this practice activates them, increasing the metabolism and helping to burn fat and calories faster.
Surya Bheda Pranayama activates the body to regulate vital body functions. It increases the digestive fire and prevents the likelihood of diseases that crop up due to insufficient oxygen levels in blood.
- Sit comfortably in Padmasana or Siddhasana.
- Keep your head and spine erect with your eyes closed.
- Shut your left nostril with your ring finger and little finger.
- Now breathe in (inhale) slowly and deeply through your right Nadi(nostril).
Incorporating these exercises in your daily fitness schedule coupled with a healthy diet to support your energy needs would do wonders for your poor metabolism rate.
If you want to explore a good metabolic process through yoga, you can also sign up for Yog Love’s 21-day challenge and 100-day challenge courses that include LIVE Yoga sessions to help you chart out your own fitness plan to achieve all your health goals.
Also Read – Yoga Poses For Increasing Height By Ira Trivedi