Yoga has been gaining wide popularity among citizens from different parts of the world due to its contribution to overall physical and mental well-being.
In recent times, ‘Face yoga’, sometimes also dubbed as ‘facial exercises’,has become a popular form of self-care and gained momentum as a potential alternative to invasive and expansive cosmetic treatments.
Some studies suggest that these exercises work by targeting facial skin, facial muscles and lymphatic drainage that removes toxins accumulated under the skin.
Though, science has been inconclusive of these exercises and there’s little to no mention of face yoga in ancient yoga texts, empirical and survey based studies have revealed that face yoga is a natural way to make your face look slimmer and more youthful.
Some trusted research has also identified that face exercises may help with conditions such as TMJ problems, Bell’s palsy and hemifacial spasms.
Here is everything you need to know about Face Yoga, and some of the top facial exercise recommendations for a youthful face:
What is Face Yoga?
Face yoga combines a range of facial movements, massages, and expressions that work to uplift and rejuvenate tiny facial muscles and tissues on your face. These exercises engage muscles around your face and neck to firm up the skin and improve blood circulation on the face.
These muscle movements individually strengthen facial muscles and revitalize skin cells that potentially help give you a well sculpted jawline, decrease puffiness and alleviate any kind of tightness you feel due to poor blood flow.
By enhancing elasticity of the skin, these exercises enhance your appearance by decreasing fine lines, and help in preventing dry skin and rashes on face. Better blood circulation achieved through movements of facial muscles lead to enhanced collagen production and give you a glowing and youthful skin.
Recommended Story – Best Yoga Poses for Females to Lose Weight Faster at Home
Benefits of Face Yoga
Slimmer looking face, glowing facial skin, reduction in lines and wrinkles, toned down double chin and a visibly firm jaw line are some of the benefits of face yoga that can be achieved through its regular practice.
In one of the most recent researches, a study examined the faces of 30 middle aged women who were instructed to perform face yoga exercises on a daily basis for over 8 weeks and then end the course by practicing Face yoga on alternate days.
The researchers took photos of the women and analyzed several factors of change. The women were observed to have achieved plumpness in their faces. Their cheeks looked firmed up, jawlines looked sculpted and a beautiful glow was also observed in their overall complexion. The exercises had also alleviated sagginess and wrinkles from their faces.
5 Easy Face Yoga Exercises You Can Perform Anytime
1. Forehead Facial Exercise
- Place your fingertips gently above your eyebrows.
- Try to raise your eyebrows as high as possible while pressing your fingertips gently downwards.
- Note that your fingertips must attempt to block the upward movement.
- Hold this at position for nearly 5-6 seconds.
- Repeat the exercise 5-10 times every day.
This exercise helps target horizontal wrinkles / frown lines on the forehead while simultaneously providing relief from eye strain and headaches.
2. Upper Lip Facial Exercise
- Place both your thumbs, tucked up and close to each other just below your upper lip.
- Gently push your upper lip forward while trying to restrain your upper lip with your thumbs.
- Hold this position for 5-6 seconds and get back to the normal position
- Repeat the same exercise for 5-6 minutes.
This exercise helps prevent wrinkles on the upper lip region and strengthens tiny muscles located above your lips.
3. Jawline Facial Exercise
- Place your elbows on a table with your fist placed below your chin.
- Press your face upward with your fists while simultaneously trying to open your jaw.
- Hold this position for at least 5-6 seconds.
- Repeat the exercise 5-10 times a day.
This exercise may help lift up and rejuvenate sagging skin on your face, jawline and double chin.
4. Midface Exercise
- Open your mouth and purse your lips gently and slightly inwards.
- Put both of your index fingers against the corners of your mouth.
- Try to protrude your lips while pulling both the corners of your mouth outward in both the directions with your index fingers.
- Hold this position for 5-6 seconds.
- Repeat the exercise 5-10 times a day.
Regularly practicing thus exercise will help you firm up the nasolabial folds or the line that run from nose to the corners of your mouth. These are also called ‘smile lines’ or ‘laugh lines’.
5. Lip Facial Exercise
- Extend your lower lip forward so it touches the upper lip.
- Turn both your upper and lower lips inward and press them together as if you are trying to hold something between your lips.
- Hold your face in this position for nearly 5-6 seconds.
- Repeat the exercise 5-10 times.
This exercise makes your lips look fuller and improves skin and muscle regeneration around your mouth and therefore curbs the possibility of early development of wrinkles around the lips.
With so many benefits associated with Face Yoga, there’s no reason you should give this exercise a miss.
So, start today and see your face turning younger and firmer!