With diverse fields and opportunities emerging, Event Management can be described as one of the most interesting and challenging field one can opt for based on the interest.
Event Management can be defined as an application of a project management that creates and develops small or large scaled events including formal events such as conferences, seminars, conventions, and corporate events and informal events such as festivals, concerts, ceremonies, and also weddings.
The whole process starts from setting up the idea of a particular to executing it and running it and later carrying the post-event evaluation.
Event Management Skill Requirement
As interesting and challenging is setting up an event and executing it, there is a certain skill set that is required for event management –
Recommended Story – Career And Education Options In Food Science in India
- Good and confident communication skill is very important and considered a priority as the interactions with stakeholders and clients are very high.
- Decision-making skills are also considered as a priority as the managers have complete responsibility of guiding their teams efficiently and each of the tasks is required to be done efficiently.
- Leadership quality is not only required but plays a huge role in this industry as guiding the teams and making them perform their responsibilities can only lead to success of an event.
- Organisational and time management skills are important in order to timely manage each department and multi-tasking between managing people, vendors, and moving in accordance to the itinerary.
- Enthusiasm plays a vital role as the industry is pretty challenging no matter how big or small the event is. Keeping the team motivated to give their best and making sure that desired results are produced is vital for the success of any form of event.
Pros and Cons in choosing Event Management as a career
|Event Management is a growing profession.||There is lack of stability especially if freelancing.|
|Minimal educational background is required to enter this field.||There is constant demand of extra amount of responsibilities.|
|Feeling of satisfaction and fullfilment after an event is executed and handled successfully.||Need to work in odd hours that lead to discomfort.|
|There is an increase in clientele base after every successful event improving the networking.||Meeting budgets can lead to difficulties.|
|There are ample of opportunities to meet new people from diverse fields.|
|Development of job skills helps transfer to other industries.|
Event Management Courses
|Name||Type of Course||Duration|
|Certificate in Event Management||Certificate Course||3 months|
|Diploma in Event Management||Diploma Course||1 year|
|PGP in Event Management and Public Relations||PG Diploma Course||1 year|
|PGDM in Event Management||PG Diploma Course||2 years|
|PG Diploma in Event Management||PG Diploma Course||1 year|
|PG Diploma in Media, Marketing, and Event Management||PG Diploma Course||1 year|
|BBA in Event Management||Graduate Degree Course||3 years|
|BBA in Event Management and PR||Graduate Degree Course||3 years|
|BA in Events Management||Graduate Degree Course||3 years|
|MBA in Event Management||Post-Graduate Degree Course||2 years|
|MBA in Event Management and public Relations||Post-Graduate Degree Course||2 years|
|MA in PR and Event Management||Post-Graduate Degree Course||2 years|
Roles involved in organizing an event
There are a number of people and different departments involved in organizing an event depending on the size and scale of the event.
An event management company ideally can have the following event professionals each leading a particular department –
Event Manager/Event Planner
- An event manager or planner is wholly responsible for planning and producing the whole event.
- He is responsible for resource and procurement management.
- He prepares, formulates, and implements the risk management plan that means avoiding risks related to an event’s planning and production.
- He is solely responsible for coordinating with all the event professionals and ensures smooth functioning of business operations effectively and efficiently.
- The key responsibility of an information manager is to manage the information acquired through different sources.
- He documents all the business operations carried out at pre, at, and post-event.
- He even maintains the database of service providers, guests, delegates, organizers, sponsors, partners, clients, target audience, media people, and various government department officials.
- He prepares, formulates, and implements risk management plan that means avoiding risks related to information management like loss of data.
- A logistic manager is responsible for custom and other clearances.
- He is also responsible for warehousing cargo.
- He even takes care of the cargo insurance.
- He is responsible for moving goods and merchandise from one destination to another in an efficient manner.
- He is also responsible for procurement and resource management.
- He prepares, formulates, and implements risk management plan that means avoiding risks related to logistic management such as cargo theft, cargo damages, etc.
- A security manager is responsible for preparing, formulating, and implementing the security plan and strategies which includes the security of the delegates, guests, service providers, organisers, sponsors, partners, clients, target audience along with goods and merchandises.
- He is also involved in procurement and resource management.
- He prepares, formulates, and implements risk management plan that means avoiding risks related to security such as stampede, brawl etc.
There are different departments and people ideally included in event management –
- Event coordinator
- Event planner
- Client service event manager
- Event manager
- Event assistant
- Artistic director
- Ticket sales manager
- Catering management
- Lighting operator
- Sound operator
- Production manager
- Stage manager
- Master carpenter
- Scenic painter
- Props master
- Lightening designer
- Sound technician
- Costume designer
- Wardrobe supervisor
- Box office manager
- Marketing manager
Career in events can start right from the school or college by conducting and handling fests or concerts for prior experience. Later, one can enroll and graduate in events management and even pursue post-graduation.
Working in an event management company will help gain experience in different aspects and also increase the chances of networking that may help in shift of industry later depending on the skill set.
Freelancing is also a great option for flexibility though one has to understand that it can get very challenging knowing the nature of the industry.
Recommended Story – Career Options And Education In field of Drawing and Painting
Top colleges offering event management courses in India
1. National Academy of Event Management and Development (NAEMD)
- National Academy of Event Management and Development (NAEMD) is one of the best institutes of event management affiliated to GICED, University of Mumbai.
- It is the first institute to offer University recognized Degree and Diploma courses in Event Management.
- They train students with basic and advanced theories and techniques in management, finance public relations, tourism, law etc., related to event management.
- Campus – Mumbai, Ahemdabad, Delhi, Jaipur, and Dubai
- Courses –
- Bachelor’s in Event Management and PR – 3 years
- Master’s in Event Management and PR – 2 years
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Aspects of Media, Marketing and Events – 1 year
- Undergraduate Diploma in Event Management and PR – 1 year
- Placements – The institute offers placements in top companies such as Wizcraft, Times of India, FICCI, etc.
2. National Institute of Event Management (NIEM)
- NIEM holds Limca Book of World Records for Asia’s first and best Event Management College.
- The institute’s aim was to create and produce trained and qualified work force for the event industry.
- The institute is the only event college to have in-house events at national level.
- They even have tie-ups with giants such as IAO, FICCI, Club of Bombay etc.
- Campus – There are 15 campuses in cities – Mumbai, Pune, Ahemdabad, Odisha, Kolhapur, Chhattisgarh, Jodhpur, Delhi, Dehradun, Patna, Kolkata, Lucknow, Indore, and Jaipur.
- Courses – Diploma in Event Management – 1 year
- Placements – The students here get placed in companies like UTV, Platinum Events, Wizcraft, Economic Times etc.
3. Indian School of Media
- Established in 2011, Indian School of Media is linked with St. Xavier’s Technical Institute.
- They offer specifically focussed courses in the Media and Entertainment Industry.
- The students are trained by alumni of IIT and IIM that helps in skill training and catering them essential knowledge.
- Campus – Mumbai
- Courses –
- Diploma in Media and Event Management – 1 year
- Post Graduation Diploma in Media and Event Management – 1 year
- Placements – The students here get opportunities to work with Filmfare, Disney, Yashraj, Sunburn, etc.
4. EMDI Institute of Media and Communication
- EMDI Institute of Media and Communication was established in 2002 and started offering vocational training and industry-related courses with industries being Event Management, Advertising, Public Relations among other media-related
- The institute is the only institute to be associated with EEMA (Entertainment and Event Management Association), a well-known and prestigious institute.
- Campus – Mumbai, Delhi, and Bangalore
- Courses –
- Diploma in Event Management (DEM) – 11 months full-time course
- Post Graduate Diploma in Event Management – 11 months full-time course
- PGDEMEM-Global – 11 months full-time course (Global exposure in Dubai with an opportunity to work in LIVE events)
- Placements – Students get to work with companies like Percept, DNA Network, Book My Show, 70 Event Media Group, etc.
4. Asian Academy of Film and Television (AAFT)
- Established in 1993, AAFT is an integral education and training academy of the leading entertainment and media conglomerate – Marwah Studios.
- The institute delivers high quality technical education in the areas of media and creative arts.
- They have combination of both national and international students coming from Asia, Europe, America, etc pursuing their interests.
- They offer courses in the field of Film Making, Performing Arts, Journalism, Event Management, PR, Digital Marketing, etc.
- Campus – Noida
- Courses –
- Bachelors in Event Management (BAEM) – 3 years
- Masters in Public Relations and Events + PG Diploma in Public Relations and Events – 2 years
- Placements – Companies the students can get to work with includes ZEE Shopping, Make My Trip, AAj Tak, etc.
5. National Academy of Media and Events (NAME)
- Introduced in 2014, the institute had an aim to provide education in event management and entertainment industry.
- They offer diverse range of courses in Event Management, Public Relations, Advertising, Film-Making, and other certificate courses.
- Campus – Kolkata, Mumbai, and Pune
- Courses –
- Certification in Event Management – 6 months (Part-Time Course)
- Diploma in Event Management, Public Relations, and Wedding Planning – 1 year (Full-Time Course)
- Events organised and coordinated – ZEE TV Sa Re Ga Ma, Airtel Network, India Speed Week, etc.
6. Amity School of Communication
- Amity School of Communication is a premiere communication institute affiliated to Amity University offering courses at undergraduate and post graduate level.
- It was established in 1999 aiming to imbibe among the neo-leadership of the Indian Media Industry.
- They offer Masters Degree in Marketing Management, Event Management and Public Relations, Business Administration.
- They offer Bachelor’s and Master’s in Journalism and Mass Comm, Film and Television Production.
- Campus – Noida, Lucknow
- Courses – MA in PR and Event Management – 2 years
7. Impact Institute of Event Management (IIEM)
- Founded in 2008, the institute is recognised by Singhania University, Rajasthan and offers academics including basic training in Event Management, Event practical and Workshops, Live Projects, Communication, Grooming Sessions, Guest Lectures, etc.
- Campus – New Delhi
- Courses –
- Diploma in Event Management – 1 year course (Part-Time is also offered with classes on weekdays or weekends)
- Post-Graduate Diploma – 1 year course
- BBA in Event Management – 3 years Full-Time Course (Part-Time is also offered with classes 3 days a week)
- MBA in Event Management – 2 years Full-Time Course (Part-Time is also offered with classes 3 days a week)
- Placements – The students here can work with companies like Wizcraft, Vibgyor, DNA, Showtime
If you have the skill set and interest to pursue a career in Event Management, you can surely go ahead as there are ample of opportunities out there.
Anything else you think can add up to this article as a valuable contribution?
If yes, let us know below!
Recommended Story – Furniture Designing as a Career Option in India: Everything You Need to Know